Friday, March 22, 2013

Before they had models, Brazil had Brigadeiro


One day at band camp… hehe.  Sorry.  I’ve always wanted to start a sentence with that line since American Pie so I couldn’t resist since this is a camp-ish story.  Except instead of band camp, it happened in our CISV camp in India.  And, unlike band camp, it doesn’t involve any sordid, perverse sexual experiment.  Although it is equally sinful and delicious. 

Brigadeiro is a yummy yummy chocolate yema-ish candy from Brazil.  Mariana, the sexy Brazilian junion councilor, prepared it for all of us when it Brazil day.  At CISV, each country gets to have a “day” when we learn about the culture, the history, and of course the food there. On our day, I fed them chicken adobo and taught them tong tong tong tong pakitong kitong complete with choreography.   

I digress.

Back to chocolate now.

After I tasted Brigadeiro, I knew I had to learn how to make it.  So I cornered Mariana in the kitchen soon after and demanded that she teach me.  The deliciousness of this candy is only trumped by the simplicity of how it is made.

3 simple ingredients.
3 simple steps.
4 simple syllables that will make you wish you had an extra mouth so you can have two spoonfuls at a time.

Say it with me now.

Brigadeiro.

Again, again.  Say it the way Brazilians do.  Or better yet, say it as if a hot Brazilian model were naked in front of you right now.

BRIGADEEIIIRRRROOOOOO.

God.  Sarap.

Ingredients:
1 can condensed milk
3 tbsps butter
3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch-processed please)

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan, put over low heat and bring to a simmer while constinuously stirring. 
When the mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
Transfer to another container to cool.  Then chill in the fridge.






 
You can form it into balls after or you can eat it like ice cream like I do.




Enjoy =)

No comments: