Friday, July 07, 2006

RAIN

I had to take a pause last night on my way to the terminal to take it all in.

The smell of the freshly bathed asphalt after a sudden downpour, the raindrops that find me in the mild drizzle that followed, the rustling leaves of the trees that line up benavidez, the distant but still audible howling of the wind, the woman with her blue umbrella and black 2-inch pumps scurrying along pass the men who find refuge in mini-stop and doughnuts, the icky feeling of my slippers absorbing the dirty rainwater puddle that i brilliantly unconsciously chose to stand on despite the dry land that neighbors it 2 inches to its left, the entire gloomy, grey, gotham city aura of makati.

I was standing on X and I was happy.

My geads I really lurveeee the rain!

Sana I have moments like that everyday. Even if it lasts for only 10 seconds. Even if it's followed by an overcrowded shuttle ride, the cancellation of an order after I've bought all the ingredients, and the gas running out in the middle of baking. Because it is these 10 fast, fleeting seconds that take our breath away and make us feel truly alive in a lifetime of an otherwise mundane existence. And not because it is pregnant with meaning and purpose, but because in those ten seconds, you dont need one.


"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain”

i got this quote from jenni's blog, and i love it. The last time I played in the rain was in majayjay with my chums. Wait let me find a picture. Okay, never mind, I'm so fat pala there. But anyway, I lurveeeeeeeeeeee the rain. Tapos gigi wanted to wash na her hair since we were drenched anyway, but as soon as she lathered up, finish na the rain. So she just played volleyball with shampoo in her hair. Hee hee. So funny. okay fine, i will post it na nga.















And i also found this other quote which will be my mantra from now on in all other aspects in my life.

"The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.”

6 comments:

adi said...

I think the best thing to do when its raining is.. SLOOPER!

graspingtoes said...

adi you are so very right there.

but yes sometimes it's so fun to walk in the rain with an umbrella in your boots, on your way to have a hot cup of coffee with friends. it's the stuff movies are made of. naks.

it's not so fun though when you're inside a 28 year old car, feeling the waves of pasong tamo flood, crashing underneath your chassis.

graspingtoes said...

i also agree with the ten second thing. just in case you think i completely missed the point of your blog. haha.

darkphoto said...

I love it!
Two weeks ago I got caught in a huge ass rainstorm with a cheap ass $5 umbrella. I got out of the subway and it was just pouring. People crowded under the awning trying to figure out what to do. I did not hesitate. Neither did Matt. Me and my cheap ass umbrella, Matt sans umbrella walking down Brooklyn streets, getting drenched. It started as a giggle then turned into yippee's in no time. It was so fun! It reminded me of rainstorms in Manila. :)

COMPULSIVE EATER said...

dar???

darkphoto said...

yup, maite it's me